Friday, December 11, 2015

4. Imperial Russian Ballet School classroom

    These are a few students at the barre in a classroom of the Imperial Russian Ballet School. The school was established in 1738, and was renamed "The Vagonova Academy of Russian Ballet" after the Russian Revolution, which was also the time when I left Russia.  The movement you see the students executing in the picture, battement derriere, is an exercise I would've been doing everyday at the barre in that classroom, or one like it, everyday until I graduated from the school.  My mom tried numerous times to get me into a classroom like this.  After countless rejections because of my frailness and crooked spine,  I finally got into the school, and trained almost every day until I graduated and got accepted into the Imperial Russian Ballet company

Picture:
Web. 11 Dec. 2015. <http://www.balletandopera.com/photos_info/perfomance/mar_ex_vaganov/akad_vaganova.jpg>.

No comments:

Post a Comment